Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mac vs. PC

I am a long time PC user (over 12 years) and this past June I got my first Mac. All I can say now is.....there is no going back. To the PC, that is. And, I can say more, as well. I have always been a PC user, most likely due to Microsoft's stranglehold on the PC market. I had been aware of the Mac and its reputation for having a superior OS. However, it was really a case of out of sight, out of mind. I had no need for a Mac. If only I knew what I had been missing!

After having a Mac for 5 months, I can say, without equivocation, there is no way I would ever go back to a PC. NO WAY. And, the fact that my Mac has an Intel processor means I don't HAVE to either. Indeed, whether I like it or not, there still is a place for Windows in this world - the corporate world will probably be tied to Windows as they are still tied to the Mainframe. If I had my druthers, I would stay in my Mac OS X bubble and not come out; however, I can't be that boy and I need to use Windows now and again. Thankfully, my Mac and its Intel processor afford me two solutions: Boot Camp and Parallels.

Boot Camp, which will be integrated into Mac OS 10.5 Leopard, allows you to dual-boot your Mac; you can boot into OS X or Windows - just not at the same time. Parallels, on the other hand, is virtualization software, which runs as an app in OS X and allows you to run Windows within OS X. Thus, with either solution, I have my Windows issues addressed.

Plainly and simply, Macs just work better - they work like a computer should. In Windows, to install an application, or even to uninstall, you have to go through a whole setup process. And, when you uninstall, you may not be removing all of the application. On a Mac, to install the application, you merely drag the application's icon into your Applications folder. Done. To uninstall, drag the application's icon to the trash. Done.

The only feature I have enjoyed on Windows that is not on the Mac - and that I consider a worthwhile feature - is System Restore. This has saved me countless times. But, in thinking about it.....this is Windows, so I would need this feature. On a Mac, not so much.

I am not alone in my opinion.....Apple may only have 3%-5% of the market now, but have you seen all the TV spots?  Sales of the iPod have certainly helped Mac sales, not to mention positive reviews by people like Walt Mossberg

I would love to see Apple continue to grow and more people realize just how great the Mac is.....well, not too many people.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home