Friday, July 20, 2007

Text Editor for Cisco Config Files

If you configure a lot of routers and switches, you know that your saving grace is the "copy and paste." Indeed, without the good old CTRL-C and CTRL-V it would take hours, if not days, to configure all the lines of code on some of the devices I have come across - and I am talking just the ACLs!

While straight copying and pasting, for the most part, works on routers and switches, you always want to make sure you don't have any blanks in the text you are pasting. To achieve that, you need a good text editor. Or, you can go one step further and get a great one like NoteTab Pro!

NoteTab Pro has so many features that for me to try and enumerate them would do a huge disservice. Instead, I will tell you about some of my favorites. First, NoteTab Pro is a tabbed text editor, which means you can open as many config files as the memory in your system will allow. In addition, when you call up the "find" window to search for text, you are able to switch among the different tabs and perform your "find" in each one of them.

Of course, as with many good text editors, you have line numbers. Also, any time you make a change to one of your open tabs, a little disk icon appears on the tab letting you know that that tab needs to be saved.

Going back to my point about removing blanks in your copying and pasting, NoteTab Pro allows you both to trim out the blanks and, my favorite feature in the last couple of weeks, eliminate spaces between text!

As you can see, I can't say enough about NoteTab Pro. I use it daily in my work and couldn't get by without it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home