Sunday, March 11, 2007

Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

My 2 cents on the subject.....Blu-Ray is going to win. Here is why:



In Blu-Ray's camp you have Apple, Dell, HP, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic, while in HD DVD's camp you have NEC, Toshiba and Sanyo.



As far as specs go, HD DVDs supports 15GB on single-layer discs and 30GB on dual-layer discs. Blu-Ray, on the other hand, supports 25GB on single-layer discs and 50GB on dual-layer discs.



The Sony Playstation 3 comes with a built-in Blu-Ray drive; I seem to remember this "built-in" strategy worked for Microsoft a few years back with a little product called Internet Explorer.



Yes, HD DVD was the first to market, it is cheaper than Blu-Ray and there are more films currently available in HD DVD than Blu-ray. However, when you consider the above.....enough said.



For those who want a happy medium, LG has come up with a solution, albeit an expensive one, in a product which supports BOTH HD DVD and Blu-Ray.



1 Comments:

At 3/11/2007 11:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought an HD DVD player and I am enjoying it very much. It is the HD A2 and it now sells for $350. I am only going to rent discs from Netflix so I will not be invested in media. When Blueray comes down in price later this year I will probably buy one of those as well. I will this war had been resolved. I don't think anything will be decided for a few years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home